Captains Log

A Day of Genaker Prep and IT Adventures

A day of installation of the Genaker and the Jockey Wheel

Installing the genaker and the jockey wheel. On a bright mid-October morning, we set out for the sailing club. We were armed with our new jib sock, a jockey wheel for the launching trolley, and our enthusiasm for boating. As we joined the club so the current IT guy is moving away. Paul and I met up with him at the boat club, exchanged IT history stories. Since no other volunteers had emerged had seen us promoted to looking after the Sailing Clubs IT at the next AGM in two weeks’ time. That done, Paul and I were ready to tackle the challenges ahead, both on and off the water.

Surprisingly good weather

Despite the country being swept by rain, we were fortunate to have fluffy blue clouds and occasional sunshine to accompany us. This day was all about Installing the Genaker and the Jockey wheel. Our first task was to get the boat ready, and we wasted no time.

Removing the water from the boat cover ready to go Installing the Genaker and the Jockey wheel

Adding the Jockey Wheel

Paul hoisted the boat up on its launch trolley, providing me the perfect opportunity to measure up and drill holes for the jack mount. With a new drill bit and a battery-powered drill, the process was swift and smooth. Soon the jack was installed, allowing the boat to be parked in a high position for effective water runoff.

Drilling holes to take the Jockey Wheel part of the days events of Installing the Genaker and the Jockey wheel
The Jockey Wheel Installed pqart of Installing the Genaker and the Jockey wheel

The Genaker

Next on the agenda was the Gennaker sail, a task that proved to be more intricate. Plugs had to be removed, pulleys fitted, and various strange-looking devices installed. While Paul sorted through the fittings, I navigated the interior of the boat. I started removing plugs and trying to reach awkward spaces. A bolt slipped and vanished into the abyss of the centreboard mechanism, a small setback that resulted in a mental note to purchase replacements.

Replacing grommets with Screws as we were Installing the Genaker and the Jockey wheel

With a bit of ingenuity involving an oar, we managed to thread a rope through the sail chute. This task was made challenging by the length of the chute. But teamwork prevailed, and soon all the ropes were in place.

Putting the ropes through the chute to pull the Genaker through which helped us Installing the Genaker and the Jockey wheel

The fittings secure and the ropes attached, we hoisted the Gennaker sail. In the calm of no wind, we got the sail up and down and meticulously stuffed it into the chute, completing the boat’s setup. Content with our progress, we covered the boat. We returned it to its spot in the boat park, this time with ease.

Merlin Rocket and the A-Rater

Curiosity led us to a Merlin Rocket, turned upside down, in the midst of restoration. The boat’s mahogany planks gleamed under the twelfth coat of varnish, a testament to the owner’s dedication. He shared with us another project, Dainty Too, a 1920’s A-Rater in dire need of repair. The hull, stripped to bare wood in places and riddled with holes of rotten wood, showcased the extensive work ahead. It would be a year or two before Dainty Too graced the waters again. However, the promise of its future glory was evident.

Dainty Too upside down with the paint being removed showing th e rotten wood that needs to be replaced.

As we left the boat park, our roles as IT managers and sailors intertwining, we were reminded of the diverse skills and passions that the world of sailing brings together.

Next we make it to the AGM where Paul get elected to the committee


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *